Our thoughts are with you and your family as our country, and indeed, our world, face the unprecedented public health situation of the novel coronavirus, COVID-19.
For our part, Meredith College is working hard to address the varied needs of our community. From ensuring our seniors are able to finish their course work and graduate on time, to establishing protocols to protect the well-being of our students, faculty, and staff, the decisions and tasks at hand continue to evolve, as I am sure they are in your own life.
Because we are all members of the larger Meredith community, I wanted to update you on a few key points:
- In light of North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper’s state of emergency declaration and recommendations regarding large gatherings, we are cancelling all upcoming alumnae events, both on and off campus, through April 6, 2020.
- At this time, we have not made a decision regarding Alumnae Reunion Weekend. We will continue to closely monitor this situation and will follow all guidelines issued by federal, state, and local authorities.
- Should we determine a need to cancel any remaining April events, Alumnae Reunion Weekend, or upcoming Alumnae Travel Program trips, we will communicate those plans as soon as possible.
- Meredith has extended spring break for students by one week, through Sunday, March 22.
- When classes resume on Monday, March 23, Meredith will provide students and faculty with online, hybrid, and other options, including face-to-face where possible, and always in accordance with CDC guidelines. Individuals with underlying health issues are being advised on a case-by-case basis in consultation with their health care provider.
The landscape is fluid and we will continue to make decisions using the most current information available. Please visit our coronavirus website for updates, as well as links to additional resources that may be helpful to you.
With in-person alumnae meetings and events on hold for now, I hope you will continue to stay engaged with the Meredith community digitally:
- Visit Meredith’s website
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
- Professionally network on Meredith Mentors
Over the past few days, many members of the Meredith community have asked me how they can support the College and our students. I ask that you comfort any current or prospective Meredith students in your life with stories of the College’s resiliency over the years. Further, today’s health and economic concerns may also affect our enrollment for fall, making those messages of affirmation even more important.
This is a stressful time for us all, but I am confident we will respond to the challenges we are facing with strength, courage, and creativity. After all, a flu epidemic in 1924 that quarantined our students produced our marvelous 96-year old tradition of Alice in Wonderland. Such is the spirit of Meredith.
I wish you good health and well-being in the days and weeks ahead, and I thank you, as always for your continued support.
Jo Allen, ’80
President, Meredith College
Leave a Reply