This evening the Class of 2018 will introduce the newest member of our doll collection at their Senior Induction Ceremony. She will not become a permanent member until Class Day, but we look forward to her unveiling tonight. This seems like the perfect time to take a trip down memory lane and spend awhile reminiscing all of our past dolls. The Meredith College Archives has set up a wonderful webpage where you can easily view and read about each of them.
View the archive HERE.
History of the Meredith Class Doll:
Since 1936, the Meredith senior class has presented the Meredith College Alumnae Association with a doll on Class Day. Alumnae from classes before 1936 prepared dolls to complete the chronology. Early dolls were dressed in the styles of Class Day dresses, while more recent dolls wear the day-to-day fashions of their classes.
Beginning in 1937, the class dolls were displayed in Johnson Hall during commencement weekend. Margaret Bright, ’07, was their first caretaker, returning every year until her death in 1969 to prepare the dolls for display. Dorothy Loftin Goodwin, ’47, then carried on Miss Bright’s work with the dolls. In 1972, the College dedicated the Margaret Bright Gallery of Class Dolls, located on the third floor of Johnson Hall’s Bryan Rotunda. Dolls for each year from 1902 to the present are permanently displayed in walnut and glass cases.