For more than 40 years, horses were an important part of life at Meredith. Perhaps these students were members of the popular Hoof Print Club. Note the background of the photo: Johnson Hall with massive stone steps (they were removed in 1956).
The first horse was brought to Meredith in 1943 by a homesick freshman. Soon there were five horses, and an equitation program began. Popularity peaked in the mid-1960s when about 40 horses, with names such as Silver Mac, Flashing Challenger, and Spitfire, lived on campus in a large stable-barn complex with interior and exterior riding rings. By the late 1980s, student interest was low and Meredith discontinued the program.